Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Icebreakers for the Elderly


I seriously appreciate older adults. Aside from my 4 year old niece, they are the most hilarious creatures I have come across. Today I've decided to share a story of something that actually happened the other day at work, it's just another reason for why I enjoy what I do (For those who don't know, I do activities in an assisted living facility).


 Every week we have a social, which is a little get together for my residents. At this social, we typically bring lots of wine and some finger foods (the elderly like to party too, this makes me love them even more). It's normally the same thing week after week, but at this past social I overheard something that almost made me pee my pants.

All the residents were enjoying their wine and chit chatting. At this one table, there were 2 ladies who weren't really talking that much. In an effort to make conversation, the first lady looks at the second and says, "So you wear hearing aids too?" It was the most fabulous icebreaker I think I've ever heard in my entire life. I couldn't think of not sharing this one. Every single day is an adventure with my old folks. You just never know what'll come out of their mouths. Stay posted for more stories to come! If you enjoy it, leave me a comment and I'll post some more :)

3 comments:

  1. Hi Crissy,
    I found your blog this morning and blogged about you! Thanks for the smile.

    Deb Peterson
    Guide to Continuing Education
    About.com, part of The New York Times Company
    http://adulted.about.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Crissy, I'm in the planning staging of trying to connect some of the seniors in my neighborhood that are otherwise alone day in an day out... I am trying to come up with some good 'ice-breaker' questions for my initial gathering... any ideas you may provide would be great. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. One exercise we used to fall back on a lot is an exercise called Questions beach ball. We would take a Beach Ball and write fun Questions all over it. The questions would be like "Who was your first kiss?", "What's your favorite food?" or "Where have you traveled?". Some are silly and others are just to get them talking. Then you have the group sit in a circle and toss the ball to music. Whenever the music stops, whoever has the ball has to answer the question in front of them. It's a cute little game and if you have a bigger group, you can have more beach balls to make it more interactive. Hope this helped!! Please let me know if you need any other ideas or if you use this one :-)

    ReplyDelete